Grass Valley is a global leader in hardware and software solutions that make television happen. We're focused on empowering customers to create, control and connect content wherever, however and whenever it is consumed. We provide the innovative tools - cameras, instant replay, signal management and more - to help customers improve the efficiency of their operations while telling better stories to attract and keep viewers. With Grass Valley's integrated solutions that enable flexibility, efficiency, cost-effectiveness, quality and scalability, broadcasters and content creators have what they need to sustain their businesses.
Grass Valley is just one of the many brands that make up Belden's impressive portfolio. Belden is a multi-billion dollar global organization of 10,000 talented people that supports the mission-critical network infrastructure and audio visual broadcast needs of many of the world's best-known brands, placing us at the heart of the global transformation to a truly connected world. We are seeking driven, results-oriented team members to help us continue to grow and succeed.
Core Technologies is a newly created group with the mission to research and develop re-usable and portable technology targeted at existing or new products. The group is responsible for delivering audio/video/network solutions to the product development units within Grass-Valley.
Innovation lies at the heart of its activities with the goal of improving overall R&D effectiveness and product competitiveness. In a small cross-functional team, the candidate will design, develop, debug, and support embedded software solutions running on multiple different platforms ranging from "bare metal" and embedded Linux to servers running Windows.
* Design, implement and debug embedded software that can be ported to almost any type of platform
* Offer internal support to other R&D designers using the solution
* Maintain and evolve the solutions through multiple versions including solutions developed by others
* Work with other designers in R&D centers around the world to integrate the solutions into their products
* Comply with internal guidelines and coding rules
* Follows the development process in place
* Write and perform unit testing
* Test the code and assist testing the solution with the test expert
* Document work and writes guides/tutorials (wiki)
* Participate in technology/solution research with the architect
* Participate in design reviews
* Participate in improving the development process
* Build a schedule with time estimates fortasks
* Collaborate closely with FPGA and software designers
* Potentially lead other designers on bigger projects
* Potentially occasionally travel to other R&D sites or for interoperability events
Required Skills and Experience
* Bachelor degree in electrical or software engineering
* 5 years + experience in embedded software development
* Strong at complex problem solving
* Ability to work with very few directives
* Mastering of C and C++ Object Oriented programming
* Strong experience with embedded Linux platforms
* Experience with Linux kernel drivers
* Experience with laboratory tools oscilloscope, logic analyzer
* Experience with GNU tools, GIT, Stash, build systems
* Experience with 'boot-loaders' (U-Boot, redboot ...)
* General knowledge of microcontrollers and their peripherals (UART, SPI, I2C, ...)
* Knowledge of IP networks and streaming media technologies
* Bilingual (English / French)
* Strong communication skills
* Can travel occasionally if necessary
* Ability to learn quickly
* Ability to work in a team, motivated, committed, responsible and self-managed
* Ability to accept constructive criticism
* Ability to manage interruptions and priorities of competing projects
* Ability to self-teach new technology
* Knowledge of Agile methodology is an asset
* General knowledge of hardware
* Experience with FPGA design is an asset
* Knowledge of Windows development is an asset
* Experience with higher level software (Java, C#, Qt, ...) development is an asset
* Grass Valley thrives on collaboration with a diverse, global team developing cutting-edge software, hardware and service solutions that provide a rewarding customer life-cycle experience;
* Grass Valley offers competitive compensation packages in an energizing and supportive work environment;
* Grass Valley is made up of fun, dynamic people dedicated to performance and teamwork;
* Grass Valley is transforming - creating innovative new products and opportunities for employees to serve customers' changing needs.
Join an industry leader bringing state-of-the-art products, software and solutions to the broadcast industry.
These statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work involved for this job. It is not an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required of this job.
This company is an equal opportunity employer and makes employment decisions without regard to race, gender, disability, or protected veteran status.